Wednesday, January 11, 2006

The secret origin of Wulfsblood.

It all goes back to the Summer of 1997. My good friend Leaf (yes, that's his actual name!) roped me into joining an Earthdawn game he was running. Having always been partial to Rangers in Dungeons & Dragons, I created a Human Scout by the name of Wulfsblood, and proceeded to take part in a sprawling 2-year campaign with a rotating roster of characters held together by (or in spite of) Wulf's questionable leadership. The gaming group sadly fizzled before we could bring it to a satisfactory conclusion, but the memory of the character stuck with me.

Fast forward six or so years and the same friend is doing everything in his power to get me to play World Of Warcraft. I resist because I'd had a bad experience with MMO's before (Star Wars Galaxies really, really bugged me.) Finally, after some humming and hawing, I decide to get the game. My first dissapointment is that all my RL friends are playing Alliance, so my dreams of playing a bloodthirsty Orc Warrior are put on the backburner. Looking at my options, I create my first character, a Dwarven Rogue called Norge. I picked the name after a song by Thorr's Hammer about Norway which I loved, but on reflection it was a mistake. I spent most of my first few days replying to tell after tell from people who thought I was Norwegian. I'd severely underestimated the Scandinavian population on the server. I also really can't get on with playing Rogues.

After three days with Norge, I decided to reroll. Looking at my options, I decided to look at a more Ranger-y option. The Hunter class seemed to be a good fit, but sadly, Human Hunters weren't an option. Deciding I didn't want to roll another Dwarf, I created a Night Elf. I was stuck on naming him, until I realised that some of the old Earthdawn players were reusing their old character names. Wulfsblood seemed to be as good a name as any, so the character was born, a nod to the past and a shared injoke with some mates. I levelled him up to ten or eleven on a monster eight hour session one Friday night, and I've been playing him on and off (but mostly on) since then.

No comments: