Wednesday, November 05, 2008

A Call For Calm

This started as a reply to Galoheart's quitting post I figured I'd open it out to a (slightly) wider audience.

It's easy to feel put upon, to see these nerfs as some massive anti-Paladin conspiracy, but for some reason I'm not donning my Tinfoil hat to keep Blizz out of my thoughts just yet.

The timing could have been better I'll admit, but I choose to believe that they had used that time to exhaust every other option before attempting a drastic, 11th hour move.

I believe they'll fix Prot damage if it needs fixing. Of course until we see the numbers at 80 with Shield of Righteousness, we won't know how much extra damage we need to be competitive.

There's an easy switch to flip in order to give Prot and Holy their judgements back, and that's to bake a damage increase back into Judgements of the Just/Pure. I'm not saying that's the route they should take, but it's certainly the one I'd take.

There are three things I know:

1. Blizzard is intending tanks to do meaningful damage, rather than relying on stacked threat multipliers.
2. Blizzard has stated repeatedly that Paladins are intended to be Main Tanks in WotLK in a way they weren't really intended to be in TBC.
3. This latest raft of changes won't be the last by a long shot. Just because we're down now doesn't mean we'll stay there.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post, I agree with you and am looking forward to the fixes that will be silently slipped in by blizzard. It certainly isn't as dark now for pallies as it was in the days pre 1.8 so I will wait it out also.

André said...

Everything they throw at us, we will change to something positive.

Huryia said...

The common sense dictates just that: "a call for calm". I embrace this attitude. I'll keep playing my paladin. I’m too fond of it. And, to be honest, we gained much more since 3.0.2. compared to what we had in TBC. One should, indeed, wait to see and experience the performance at level 80. Still, I do “feel” disappointed by the way the paladin class is managed, and also I can’t overlook the increased fun factor, other classes gained with the 3.0.2 changes (that’s why I switched to my hunter lately). As for Galo, like someone else commented on his post, I suspect his decision was not based on the paladin changes alone. I only hope he’s ok and looking forward to see him writing again, because I’ll surely miss that.

Unknown said...

While I am remaining cautiously optimistic about the changes, I have already made my intention clear to play a warrior main for the expansion.

I took two weeks out of my time and levelled my 39 twink warrior up to 70, and have been tanking 5mans and heroics with him since he hit 70.

I didn't roll a warrior to escape my paladin, rather, I did it because I prefer the playstyle of the warrior, and it seems like a lot more fun. However, I will admit a sense of relief knowing that I now belong to what has been for so long the 'premier' tanking class and whatever may happen, I know that they're the one class that will always be viable tanks for any fight, no matter what happens.