Tuesday, February 05, 2008

A change in gearing philosophy,

I've gone through something of a shift in my gearing paragdim recently. Before, owing to the fact that Paladins had the lowest base health and mitigation of any tanking class, I focussed on Ulushnar's health and armor to allow him to absorb the biggest hits possible.

About a month ago, I got a new stamina trinket, the Spyglass of the Hidden Fleet and with it I broke 16k health unbuffed. In retrospect, adding a second Stamina trinket wasn't the best move. When I'm at 16k health unbuffed, there's no amount of spike damage I can't absorb unless my healers are either dead or asleep. I was in no danger of dying really, but I felt I was taking too much damage.

I missed the handy on-use of my Moroes' Lucky Pocket Watch, and having high health, but relatively low avoidance made me feel a little squishy. I ended up dumping the Spyglass and rearranging my gear for more pure avoidance.

On Sunday, I grabbed the Ring of Sundered Souls from Morogrim, and with that and a couple of Badge rewards, I was able to hit 15987 health with a 21.49% Dodge chance and a 16.72 Parry Chance, which just feels a lot healthier for tanking the big guys. Not only can I absorb a big damage spike, but I can also avoid nearly half the incoming hits.

No comments: