Wednesday, June 13, 2007

It is better to Tank in Hell than Autoshot in Heaven

My apologies to Milton for paraphrasing and to Chaotic Divinity for referring to them as Hell. I just liked the phrase and CD're definately more like Purgatory in any case. ;)

A week ago, I was tempted to leave Chaotic Divinity. CD have been a constant in my playing now for about 21 months give or take. I've seen them through highs and lows, and we've stuck together as a loose confederacy of friends who wanted to try and see the end game content together. As a single guy with no dependants, and an undemanding job, I can arguably afford to be more "hardcore" in my playing style than those with spouses, partners or kids. As a result, I do spend a lot of my time backtracking through content I was finished with weeks ago to help folks catch up with me. Most of the time, it can be fun, but occasionally, it gets wearying.

Anyway, a week or so ago, I noted an old friend of mine was recruiting Hunters for their raid group, one of the older and more established groups on my server. Given the rarity of Hunter slots in the endgame guilds, and the fact that the aforementioned friend was the reason I started playing the game, I thought about offerring them Wulf's services. I can't deny it was a tempting chance to see some of the later stuff.

I started playing Wulf again to get a feel for him. It was bizarre to play a ranged class again. I felt removed from the action, and after months of AoE grinding with my Paladin, it was frustrating to only be able to fight one or two mobs at a time.

On Friday, I even went as far as to announce my intention to leave CD and posted an application to the other group. It seemed only fair to let them know the situation before I went on any more raids with them. They were upset, but supportive in general.

Then an applicant who was shaping up to be a good Main Tank for us basically announced that he didn't think CD was good enough for him and quit. I can't adequately describe the thought process at that point, but it made me realise where I belonged. CD needed a tank, and I realised I didn't really, truly have my heart in playing a Hunter anymore.

I asked to reverse my resignation and retracted Wulf's application to the other group simultaneously. I might spend the next few months on Karazhan and Heroics with these guys, but I'm honeslty not bothered. When I go to the big instances, I want to do it with sword and shield equipped, standing in the shadow of some hulking monstrosity between it and my friends.

4 comments:

Admin said...

*blows you a kiss*

Andrew Girdwood said...

Sounds like you're a spy. :P

Ardent Defender said...

Seems like you made a thoughtfully wise decision.

Peter said...

And I'll be there bashing a hole in its arse with a BIG HAMMER.

(Trivia: the CAPTCHA for this post offered me "Muffy" for the briefest of seconds before changing its mind and asking for something else. I WANT MUFFY BACK!)