Friday, March 28, 2008

Into Mount Hyjal

Since 2.4 there just isn't enough hours in the night. Been running around slotting daily quests around instance runs. Wasn't able to get into Magister's Terrace last night as I opted instead to eat before our inuagral run to Mount Hyjal. (I know, where are my priorities?!)

I never played Warcraft III, so I never played through the Battle of Mount Hyjal. Therefore I have no idea how the encounter plays compared to the RTS version.

That said, it's the most fun I've had in a 25-man in a long time.

The mobs come in waves of 10-12 every 2 minutes. To burn them down, you ideally need to AoE them. To AoE them, you need an AoE tank. This means happyfuntimes for our hero.

Ulushnar's Pro-tips for AoE-tanking Mount Hyjal:

1. Get a Shadow Priest in your group if at all possible.
2. Get another two tanks to drag a couple of the more dangerous mobs off you.
3. Bind one half of your keyboard to Consecrate and the other half to Holy Shield. Randomly mash keys.
4. Profit.


We ran with three tanks, Ulushnar, a Prot Warrior and a Feral Druid. Normally, Ulu would drop a Consecrate at the entrance to the Alliance camp and then back down the hill with the wave hitting him. The other tanks would grab a couple of the more dangerous single mobs off me and I would proceed to AoE tank the rest of them (with ~840 Block Value).

It was a pretty boring kinda fun. I'd aggro them, and then spend my time hitting Consecrate and Holy Shield in sequence. I had mana problems at first, but they put a Shadow Priest in with me and they cleared right up.

First boss, Rage Winterchill was easy. we wiped once on him because people didn't dodge his Death and Decay AoE and our Healers didn't react fast enough to the Frostbolt attack he did. Second time around, he went down. I played pseudo DPS on both attempts until I died from not noticing the Death & Decay. (IR nub, hear me rawr!)

After Rage, it was another eight trash waves and we came to Anetheron. Our best attempt on him was 23%, but I think our tactic's flawed and I'm confident we'll get him next time. There was some sloppiness on the trash waves before him which lead to us wiping a few times and we called it after the second go. Can't wait to go back.

Tonight we're going to go to the newly-nerfed Magtheridon to see if they've finally managed to dumb him down to our level. Once he's dead, we're gonna take a potshot at Gruul.

No comments: