Thursday, July 06, 2006

Mix-and-Match Epix!

I've been playing around with Wulf's gear at the moment, trying to find a good balance of stats with what he has at the moment, rather than pinning my hopes on a helm that won't frigging drop!

It's not like he doesn't have a selection. He has the Helm and Belt from the Dragonstalker set, 4/5ths of the Zandalar Predator's Armour and of course, 7/8ths of the Giantstalker set. My current goal is for him to get the Giantstalker's Helm and complete the set. The bonus he gains from having all eight pieces fits his current talent spec perfectly, and will be hard to replace with later gear.

That said, as I've previously noted, the Gianstalker's Helm refuses to drop for me. And since we've started clearing Molten Core on the weekends, I can't get in there much over the coming months. (Damn you RL!!)

Therefore, rather than sit there with seven peices and only a five peice bonus, I started picking up cheap bits of Dragonstalker from the early bosses of BWL. My plan is to marry the five-piece Gianstalker to the three-piece Dragonstalker until I can get the helm. Last night, I managed to get the belt, which leaves me one piece away from the three-peice bonus. I have no intention or ability to pick up the later peices since a) the boots are ugly, b) the gloves are still needed by Hunters with more DKP than I and c) we have yet to take down the bosses that drop the shoulders and chestpiece, so I'll be waiting until next Wednesday now for another crack at Razorgore and the bracers (the only part I can get that I'd reasonably wear atm).

Essentially, after playing around with a few different gear set-ups, I decided to go with the following:

Boots, Leggings, Chestpiece, Gloves and Belt from the Gianstalker set: Good stats, decent three and five piece set bonuses.
Helm from the Dragonstalker set: Once again, great stats, and nothing more worthy to replace it with.
Shoulders and Bracers from the Zandalar set: Weaker stats than their Gianstalker counterparts on paper, but the two-piece set bonus means that Wulf actually ends up with 10 more attack power. Plus they also have mana regeneration stats on them, and I'm curious to see how that pans out over an extended fight.

The end result looks fine on paper, if a little weird in-game. I'll post a picture of the bastardised set-up later.

Edit: In answer to Peter's question in the comments, the PVP 2pc is a pretty nice +20 agility, and the two rank 7 pieces collectively have about 8 less agility as their Giantstalker counterparts. It's a question of wether or not I can be bothered to grind honour up to Rank 7 (which would take some 4 or so weeks from my current Rank 3 I estimate), and then there's the fact that they're very, very green!!!

No comments: