Monday, April 10, 2006

A less-than-epic week.

Well, it's been over a week since I got my Leaf, and I wish that I had more progress to report. One Demon is dead, three to go.

First we'll talk about my success: Simone The Seductress in Un'Goro. This comes down to a pretty straight-forward melee fight. She has a pet that does four times the damage she does, but I was able to take him out of the fight for 30 seconds with a freezing trap, and by the time he rejoined the fight, his mistress was half-dead and I was able to take his blows until she fell. Not the cleanest death, but it worked.

Now the three that "got away" thusfar:

I can't say anything about Artorius the Doombringer in Winterspring. Everytime I've been there looking for him, he hasn't been around. I'll need a group of four friends with me when I do him anyway, since the area he spawns in is teeming with hostile beasties.

As for Kinfran the Crazed (Burning Steppes), well he's the fellow I've tried the most. I've started to get used to the fight, and I'm sure I'll get him soon, but the area he's spawned in is also home to several Elite Dragonkin, so having friends there to nuke them seems to be the key.

Which brings us to Solenor the Slayer (Silithus), and my biggest problem with the quest. I've died against him about six to eight times thusfar, but I think I'm getting the rythmn of the fight down. The biggest problem is that his spawn area is right outside the gates to the newest endgame instance, Ahn'Qiraj, so all it takes is one bored level 60 deciding to "help" me, and bam! Solenor runs back to the nether realms for a 2-3 period.

And this is the issue. If anyone aggros the demons once I've engaged them (by attacking them or by healing/buffing me) then the demon immediately despawns for 2-3 hours. It's particularly been a problem in the Solenor fight, but it's also happened with my Simone and Kilfran attempts, and it unerringly seems to happen just as an attempt is going well. Strangely enough though, the problem doesn't seem to be the Horde players (two Horde hunters actually watched my last Solenor attempt respectfully), but the Alliance players. I just wish Blizzard could tweak the quest so that it punishes the "helpers", not the quester for each interruption on what is already a challenging and taxing quest.

No comments: