Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Look before you post

Well, I answered the a few posts in the Gear Check/Advice thread over at Maintankadin until the bile rose in my throat and a red mist descended over my eyes.

In the year I've been reading Maintankadin, the knowledge base has increased remarkably, with guides on gear progression, uncrushability and even gems and enchantments. Almost every silly, needy question has been answered there and the one that hasn't; "what level of gear do I need to tank x" has been answered over at Tankspot. These guides will answer 90% of the questions people seem to ask, with the rest being generic "rate my gear" threads which whilst banal are kinda acceptable.

Perhaps it's just me, but if I'm looking for information on uncrushability, I would immediately head for the big thread marked "Uncrushability Guide" rather than write a post saying "hay guyz, how iz I crushed?".

I suppose I shouldn't be too harsh. I can remember the bleak days before I discovered Maintankadin, and I was as lost and dazed as any of them when I first joined up. There is a lot of information to be assimilated and not everyone has the inclination to do so. Also, since most guilds and raidgroups will only have one or two Tankadins in them, it's hard to turn to someone in-game for informed advice or reassurance.

That said, it would be nice if people who see someone with the same problem as them would just read how they solved it, or comment there, rather than just throw out an extremely open-ended "rate my gear" thread. Specifics are your friends.

No comments: