Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Ulu's Tankadin FAQ.

1. How much unbuffed health do I need to main tank blah?

Very roughly:

Heroics - 10.5k
Karazhan - 11.5k minimum, 12.5k for the Prince
Zul'Aman/Gruul's Lair - 14k
Magtheridon/SCC - 15k

These numbers are a guideline at best, and chasing health to the exclusion of all else won't really serve you best as a tank. Look at your overall stats, don't sacrifice too much avoidance, mitigation or threat generation for the health goal. Experiment with your gear (heroics are great for this) to find a balance that works for you and your healers.

2. Are the Justicar (Tier 4) Handguards worth it?

Not really no. Try to get the Gloves off of the Maiden of Virtue. I only use mine when I need to get one of the T4 set bonuses for extra threat.

3. What gem should I put in x?

Assuming crit immunity and uncrushability aren't issues, then +Stamina gems are the way to go. For a more detailed guide, check here.

4. What should I enchant x with?

Generally, if there's a stamina/health enchant for that slot, then go for that. If there isn't, then look at an avoidance enchant. If there isn't one of those available, or your avoidance has already made you crit and crush immune, then get a threat enchant.

5. How do I get my Guild to like me- let me tank?

*shrug* I dunno. It depends. Does your guild have enough active tanks? Were you recruited as a healer? Are they just opposed to the idea of a non Warrior/Druid tank?

If the answer to the first two is "yes" then I'm afraid you're shit outta luck. The tanking team is always the smallest part of any raid group, and if you were recruited as a healer, then it's because the group needed a healer, not a tank. Your options are to either ask them to consider you if a slot ever opens or to apply to another guild as a tank.

The question of prejudice is a trickier one. The only way you can get around that is by being exceptionally good. Try and get your guildmates on side with some imba heroic runs, make sure your tanking gear's top-notch. Do everything you can to show your GM you can do it. And if they still don't want you to do it, look for another group that will let you. Your guildmates pay their money the same as you do and you can't force people to change their mind.

6. My mana and spelldamage go down the plughole as I get more Kara tanking plate to replace my Righteous pieces.

First of all, with the exception of the shoulders and chest, the Righteous set is awful for raid tanking. (I has mp5 on it fercrissakes!)

In Karazhan, with the preponderance of Undead and Demons, you don't need much spelldamage to get threat (love your Exorcism button!), and you'll normally do fine with a spelldamage weapon and 1-2 pieces of spelldamage plate. Once you've farmed Kara to death and got ready for the entry-level 25-mans, you should have been able to grab some of the nice tankadin items available from heroic badges.

As for Intellect, there's no real use for it. If you find you're running out of mana then either your healers are slacking or you're massively ougearing your content. All some extra int will do is give you is more mana at the start of a fight which might give you one more Consecrate or Holy Shield.

Really what you wanna do is downgrade your spells if you find yourself regularly going OOM. On farm content, Ulu normally uses Consecrate Rank 4, which does about 30 damage/tick less than rank 6, but at nearly half the mana. I upgrade to rank 6 only on hard-hitting bosses when I know I'll have the mana income to support it.

No comments: